June 15, 2018
Things You Can Recycle
Most of us recycle plastic, paper, and glass products on a regular basis, but there are so many items and materials that don’t have to go right into the trash can. With a little bit of planning, we can dispose of a lower volume of garbage, reduce household clutter, and extend the life of materials that would otherwise go straight to a landfill.
- Aerosol cans can be recycled along with other metal products. Once you have used the entire contents of an aerosol can, remove the plastic cap and recycle it separately. Avoid puncturing the can, as doing so poses a risk.
- Plastic grocery bags usually cannot be recycled, but rather than throwing them away, you can take them to a nearby grocery store that collects used plastic bags for reuse.
- Wine corks are often thrown away, and while the material is biodegradable, it can typically be recycled into other products like cork boards and coasters.
- Shampoo bottles and other bathroom containers can be rinsed thoroughly and included with your plastic recyclables.
- Old cosmetic containers can also be recycled. Brands like Aveda and M.A.C. offer recycling programs allowing customers to drop off the containers, while brands like TerraCycle and Garnier encourage customers to mail in old containers.
When in doubt, always check with city officials who can advise you on the best ways to manage waste.